The Association of Artist Managers (AAM) unites the Australian music industry's managers providing a peak body that develops, protects and promotes the reputation and interests of music managers, and their artists.
With 200 active managers as members, the AAM is the only peak body for managers of contemporary music.
The AAM exists to:
- develop the skills and capacity of existing, and potential, music managers
- advocate for members, their represented artists and the broader community of music managers
- build a connected community of music managers
The AAM believes in:
- Integrity as defined by the quality of being honest
- Reciprocity as understood through the Indigenous language concept of Ngapartji Ngapartji - the mutual exchange of information and understanding
- Galvanism – the stimulation of action throughout the artist management community
The AAM's advocacy and program activities strengthen the management sector for the benefit of all Australian artists and rights holders. The AAM lends the experience of its members to a wide range of stakeholders, industry bodies and is accessible to other peak organisations.
- Conceptualised and deliveredof the inaugural "Manager's Sanctuary" at BIGSOUND to provide support and resources for professional music managers
- Secured program funding for the annual APRA AMCOS "Rocket" Mentor Program
- Secured program funding for the inaugural Creative Victoria Music Passport "Fastrack Fellowship" for international career development of Victorian based music managers
- Lobbied NSW Industry Relations to ensure the protection of artist managment remuneration structures
- Lobbied NSW State Government and City of Sydney to ensure best practice and protection of the licensing and regulation of Entertainment Licensors and protect Live Music
- Developed and launched a National Code of Conduct for artist managers in Australia
- Supplied contemporary music conferences, festivals and events with relevant Manager-related content, panellists and resources
- Ongoing support for the work of Music Rights Australia to ensure Artists rights are protected
- Representative on the Contemporary Music Advisory Commitee for Music Australia
- Ongoing supported for the work of Support Act in the development of a mental health hotline for the music industry and advocacy for the health and wellbeing of music managers and their artists
- Peer assessment for providers of grant funding and awards to artists andmanagers including: Create NSW, APRA AMCOS, Music NT, National Live Music Awards and the AIR Awards.
- Secured funding for a 5 year Indigenous Mentor Program in partership with Warner Music, UncleJimmy Thumbs Up and Bush Bands Business (Music NT).
- Provide workshop and masterclass content for tertiary music business providers including: JMC Acacemy, AIM, NSW TAFE •
Current Board Members:
Greg Carey (Co-Chair)
Rick Chazan (Co-Chair)
Graham Bidstrup (Vice Chair)
Tom Harris (Treasurer)
Current Executive Director:
The AAM is a current member of the International Music Managers Forum (IMMF), comprising organisations from: Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, and The United Kingdom and The United States.